It's a fresh year and we're substituting fresh ingredients for pantry favorites. Harvest fresh herbs and tomatoes from your Rise Garden and you'll have homemade pasta sauce full of flavor in as little as 35 minutes. It's great on pasta noodles or vegetable noodles.
Zoodles with a Homemade Pasta Sauce
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup grated yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- ½ tsp fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade
- 4 small zucchinis, spiralized
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Step One: Spiralize four zucchinis. Let the spirals sit on paper towels with salt sprinkled over it to draw out some moisture. Set aside.
- Step Two: In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for about 5 minutes until translucent and soft. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Step Three: Add the remaining sauce ingredients minus the basil. Reduce heat, cover and let it simmer on medium high heat for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally to help break up the tomatoes. The sauce is done when it has only a few chunks of tomatoes. Remove bay leaf. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Step Four: Remove from the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce a bit to smooth it out. Add in the chopped basil.
- Step Five: Add the zucchini to a bowl and top with sauce, grate some fresh parmesan and serve!